Wednesday 18 March 2015

Gifts from the Past

Past me has been sending present me a lot of gifts lately.

I back a lot of projects on Kickstarter, and a few of them arrived in the mail this week. Most of what I back are board games, but a few are miniatures, or video games, or other geeky things. Crowd funding is a strange format; you pay for a thing, then have to wait for months (or in some cases years) before you get anything. The joke is that you pay to read endless updates about production delays, and that's not far off from the truth.

The projects with the most delays are usually the ones that are incredibly over-funded; they hit all of their stretch goals, and the project balloons well beyond its original scope. Creators now have learned from their predecessors, and are much better at tempering their enthusiasm with stretch goals, and at estimating how long a project is going to take, but this was certainly not the case a few years ago.

While these big projects do have a lot more to look forward to, several projects also compensate for the inevitable delays by providing regular updates showing their progress. Not only do these projects reassure backers that they are still working on their project, but they also provide a fascinating look behind the scenes; videos of the cards being printed (like updates for The Agents) or work-in-progress images of miniatures with notes on what changes are being made (like updates for Kingdom Death) really help show what the process is to develop and to publish a board game from start to finish. These snapshots are, for me, one of the more rewarding aspects of Kickstarter, and one of the reasons I keep coming back to it, even if I'm still waiting on projects I backed well over a year ago to finish.

One project that I feel has excellent updates like this was Xia: Legends of a Drift System. While this game was delayed by several months, the game designer posted regular updates detailing everything that he was doing to get the game made. Moreover, he would regularly ask for feedback from the backers to make decisions about the game. By including us, I was far more excited for this game to arrive than most other projects I've backed. I was not just a backer but was part of the team, voting on what to name certain ships, or what the logo should look like, and so on. It was not just a behind the scenes look at the making of a board game; Xia invited backers in to get involved. And it was fantastic.

All of this talk of delays is not to say that projects cannot ever ship on schedule. As I said before, project creators are getting much better at anticipating exactly how long it will take to finalize everything with their printers, and how long to expect shipping to take. I was taken aback at how quickly my copy of Stuff and Nonsense arrived, and I have found that the Dwarven Forge projects (Dungeon Tiles and Cavern Tiles) shipped in a timely fashion as well, especially given their scope.

At the end of the day, I back projects because I'm excited about them. The updates let me peek behind the curtain to see how the gears turn, and when I get a chance to contribute, even if it's just a vote, I'm all the more excited. And as time goes on for these larger projects, and the delays seem endless, it becomes less about receiving something in the mail, and more about hearing what the current hurdle is. And I mean that in a positive way; even if it's an update explaining why printing was delayed (again), I find it interesting to see what problems can arise when making something like a board game. The updates tell a story, and I'm eager to hear what happens next.

Plus, future me will be really happy when he finally sees what I got for him.

13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment