Thursday 2 April 2015

How I Fail at Making Tea

Making a cup of tea is perhaps one of the easiest things to do. Boil water. Add a tea bag. Remove the bag. Drink it. And yet, for some reason I have failed at every one of those tasks on more than one occasion.

I've been known to go into the kitchen with the full intent of making tea, only to walk right back out again. Many times I have poured the water and stepped out before it boils, then proceed to forget about it as it cools; I've had to re-boil that same kettle three or four times some days. Then of course there's the tea bag; I once joked to a professor of mine that I make my tea so strong that I can stand the bag up in the cup. It was an exaggeration, of course, but I would routinely leave my tea bag in my cup for a good half hour before I would drink it. That is, if I remembered to drink it at all! Even now as I'm writing this I realize that I have a cup of tea beside me that has been there for quite some time. While I did manage to remove the tea bag, I suspect my tea is cold by now.... Yep. It's definitely cold.

My problem may be that I'm forgetful or easily distracted, but I think it goes deeper, that it stems from a general lack of conviction. I'll start many tasks, but finishing them is often a far greater obstacle; when something else comes along to draw my attention, I will too often set down the first project and never get back to it. It is particularly apparent when I can't even finish preparing a cup of tea, but I've noticed the same pattern with my hobbies, too.

For instance, several years ago I bought some plastic models to turn into an Elf team for Blood Bowl. I excitedly got to work cutting away weapons and carving out details. I had intended to use the team for the following season, about four months away. All I needed to do was finish assembly, prime them, and paint the sixteen models. It took three years to finish what was supposed to be a small project. Like my tea crafting, I set out to get the task done in a timely manner, but something happened. I stopped working on the models, and the project kept getting set aside for something else. I would think about it from time to time, but my excitement for it had faded. It wasn't until I decided it was finally time to use the models, ready or not, that I was able to get myself back into working on the team regularly.

So what got me back to work on that project? Well, primarily it was a deadline imposed by our Blood Bowl league; the rules state that models have to be 'table-legal' by the end of the season. That is to say, at the end of the twenty-six week period the models need to have at least three different colours on them and have finished bases. I had a very specific goal, and a very strict time limit to work with. It helped immensely.

I was always good at meeting deadlines in school, but it seems when deadlines are removed so is my motivation. The Elf team was by no means the only project that got set aside. I have boxes of models that are in various states of completion: some need only finishing touches of paint, while most still need to be assembled. It isn't limited to my models, either. Board game designs that I started years ago are collecting dust, and the piles of books I intend to read and board games I intend to play only grow. The obvious solution is to have self-imposed deadlines, but I often come to the same problem: if I miss my own deadlines, there are no consequences. That said, I get more and more frustrated by my inaction as time goes on, so I suppose there is one consequence. I am improving, at least, but it is taking time.

And on that note, I should probably go finish drinking that cold cup of tea.

13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment